Atharva Murder Case: Deceased father alleges shoddy probe

Mumbai: The murder case of Atharva Shinde was transferred to Crime Branch on Thursday after the deceased’s father and senior inspector of Economic and Offences Wing (EOW) Narendra Shinde wrote a six-page letter to Commissioner of Mumbai Police, Datta Padsalgikar, alleging that the ongoing investigation was ‘shoddy’.

In his letter, Narendra demanded ‘custodial interrogation’ of all the youngsters who had attended the birthday party on May 7 night at bungalow number 212 of Royal Palms. The Aarey police registered a murder case against unknown person and questioned all the boys and girls who attended a girl’s party. Atharva (20) did not return home on May 7 as the party went on till May 8 morning.

The battered body of Atharva was recovered by his father near a lake on May 9 morning in Royal Palms of Aarey Colony. “I was not satisfied with the prove by Aarey police station. It (investigation) was shoddy. Police have not got any breakthrough in the case. I have demanded custodial interrogation of all the people who attended the party,” Narendra told the Free Press Journal.

Also Read: Atharva Shinde Murder: CCTV footage doesn’t show him being beaten, says Police

“In the letter, I have given the list of people who attended the party. I am sure his female friend knows everything but she is misleading the police saying that she cannot recall what happened at the party. Another prime suspect is a boy who was last seen at spot. To me, the case seems to be homicide,” said Narendra, who has requested the commissioner to conduct all the tests including narco analysis, brain mapping and polygraph test on them to reveal the truth.

“The injuries cannot be due to self-inflicted but certainly due to external force or heavy blows that led to his brutal death. These facts I reliably understand have not been taken into consideration by the Aarey police station during the investigation,” reads the letter. “From the post-mortem report it seems that it is not natural and is homicidal. My son was subjected to physical abuse and torture including sexual assault. These injuries are self-explanatory and cannot be self-inflected as being investigated by the police totally disregarding the crucial evidence which can lead to book the culprit,” the letter reads.

“After being assaulted and abused sexually, he tried to run away from the bungalow on May 8 morning. He was thereafter followed by one boy accompanied by his female friend and another boy as seen in the CCTV camera footage,” said Narendra in the letter.


Leave a Comment